Little Red Cap
小红帽
Once upon a time there was a dear little girl who was loved by every one who looked at her,but most of all by her grandmother,and there was nothing that she would not have given to the child.Once she gave her a little cap of red velvet(velvet n.天鹅绒,柔软,光滑),which suited her so well that she would never wear anything else.So she was always called little redcap.One day her mother said to her,“Come,little redcap,here is a piece of cake and a bottle of wine.Take them to your grandmother,she is ill and weak(weak adj.不牢固的,弱的,虚弱的,软弱的,淡的,疲软的,无力的,不耐用的),and they will do her good.Set out before it gets hot,and when you are going,walk nicely and quietly and do not run off(run off v.逃跑,流掉,进行决赛,进行(试验),迅速写出)the path,or you may fall and break the bottle,and then your grandmother will get nothing.And when you go into her room,don"t forget to say,‘goodmorning’,and don"t peep(peep vi.窥视,偷看)into every corner before you do it.”
从前有一个可爱的小女孩,人见人爱。最疼爱她的要数她的奶奶,她把自己所能给予孙女儿的都给了她。一次,奶奶送给她一顶红绒缝制的小帽。这小帽她戴在头上非常好看,从此她不愿再戴任何别的帽子,于是人们就管她叫“小红帽”了。一天,妈妈对她说:“来,小红帽,这儿有一块蛋糕和一瓶葡萄酒,给你奶奶送去。她有病,身子虚弱,吃了会好一些的。趁天热之前动身吧,到了野外得乖乖儿地走,别离开大路乱跑,要不然你会跌倒和摔坏瓶子的,真那样奶奶就什么也没有了。还有,你进她的房间时,别忘了说‘早上好’,别一进屋就东瞅西瞅的。”
“I will take great care.”said little redcap to her mother,and gave her hand on it.The grandmother lived out in the wood,half a leagueleague n.同盟,联盟,盟约,联合会,社团from the village,and just as little redcap entered the wood,a wolf met her.Redcap did not know what a wicked(wicked adj.坏的,邪恶的,缺德的,不道德的,恶劣的,刻毒的,淘气的)creature he was,and was not at all afraid of him.
“我会做好所有的事。”小红帽对妈妈说,说完就和她拉拉手告了别。奶奶住在村外的大森林中,离村子有半小时路程。小红帽一走进森林就碰着一头狼,可她却不知道这是一种多么凶残的动物,因此并不怕它。
“Goodday,little redcap.”said he.
“你好啊,小红帽?”狼说。
“Thank you kindly,wolf.”
“谢谢,狼先生。”
“Whither away so early,little redcap?”
“这么早出村干吗来啦,小红帽?”
“To my grandmother"s.”
“去看奶奶。”
“What have you got in your apronapron n.围裙,外表或作用类似围裙的东西,[机]挡板,护坦?”
“你那围裙里放的什么?”
“Cake and wine.Yesterday was bakingday,so poor sick grandmother is to have something good,to make her stronger.”
“蛋糕和葡萄酒。昨天我们烤了蛋糕,奶奶病了,身体虚弱,吃了有好处,身体会健康起来。”
“Where does your grandmother live,little redcap?”
“小红帽,你奶奶家在哪儿?”
“A good quarter of a league farther on in the wood.Her house stands under the three large oaktrees,the nuttrees are just below.You surely must know it.”replied little redcap.
“进了林子还得走整整一刻钟,在三株大橡树底下就是她的房子,低处围着胡桃树的篱笆,你一定知道的。”小红帽回答。
The wolf thought to himself,“What a tender(tender adj.嫩的,温柔的,软弱的)young creature.What a nice plump mouthful,she will be better to eat than the old woman.I must act craftily(craftily adv.狡猾地),so as to catch both.”So he walked for a short time by the side of little redcap,and then he said,“See little redcap,how pretty the flowers are about here.Why do you not look round.I believe,too,that you do not hear how sweetly the little birds are singing.You walk gravely along as if you were going to school,while everything else out here in the wood is merry.”
狼嘀咕着:“小东西细皮嫩肉儿,一定很可口,味道会比那老太婆还要好,我得放聪明些,叫她俩都逃不出我的手心儿。”狼一边想,一边陪着小姑娘往前走,过了一会儿,它说:“小红帽,瞧瞧周围那些花开得多么鲜艳!干吗连头都不转一转?我想,你压根儿没听见小鸟们唱得有多么动听吧?你这样只顾往前走,就像去上学似的,不知道这森林里有多么快活。”
Little redcap raised her eyes,and when she saw the sunbeams(sunbeam n.阳光光束,快乐的人)dancing here and there through the trees,and pretty flowers growing everywhere,she thought,“Suppose I take grandmother a fresh nosegay(nosegay n.(尤指有香味的)花束).That would please her too.It is so early in the day that I shall still get there in good time.”And so she ran from the path into the wood to look for flowers.And whenever she had picked one,she fancied that she saw a still prettier one farther on,and ran after it,and so got deeper and deeper into the wood.Meanwhile the wolf ran straight to the grandmother"s house and knocked(knock v.敲,敲打,敲击,(使)碰撞)at the door.
小红帽抬起眼帘,看见阳光在树木间来回跳荡,四周鲜花盛开,心里想:“要是我给奶奶带一束鲜花去,她一定会很高兴,天色还早着呢,我会按时到那儿的。”她于是离开大路,进密林中采花去了。她采下一朵,心想前边没准儿还有更漂亮的,又往前走,一直走到了密林深处。与此同时,狼却直接赶到奶奶的房前,敲起门来。
“Who is there?”
“是谁呀?”
“Little redcap.”replied the wolf.“She is bringing cake and wine.Open the door.”
“是小红帽,给你送蛋糕和葡萄酒来啦,快开门吧。”
“Lift the latchlatch n.门插销,”called out the grandmother,“I am too weak,and cannot get up.”
“你只管拉把手好啦,”奶奶大声回答,“我身子虚弱,起不来。”
The wolf lifted the latch,the door sprang open,and without saying a word he went straight to the grandmother"s bed,and devoured(devour vt.(尤指动物)吞吃,狼吞虎咽,挥霍,(火灾等)毁灭,破坏,吞没,贪看,贪听)her.Then he put on her clothes,dressed himself in her cap,laid himself in bed and drew the curtains(curtain n.窗帘,门帘).
狼一拉把手门就开了,它二话没说已冲到床前,把奶奶给吞进了肚子。接着,它穿上奶奶的衣服,戴上她的软帽,钻进她的床铺,扯严了帐幔。