land
陆地,国土,国家,地带,土地,田地,
地产
Useful Phrases实用短语
①land in sth.使陷入(困境)
Her short temper landed her in trouble.
她的坏脾气使她陷入了麻烦。
②see how the land lies弄清情况,看清形式
Before you take action, you'd better see how the land lies.
在你采取行动前最好先弄清情况。
③land sb. with sth./sb.把(苦差事)推给(某人);主动承担(苦差事)
She is just that kind of girl who always lands herself with all the troublesome things.
她就是那样的女孩总是把所有的麻烦事情揽到自己这来。
Daily Conversation日常会话
A:You shouldn't land yourself with all the trouble. It's my fault, so I must take the responsibility.
你不应该把所有麻烦都揽到自己身上来的。那是我的错,所以我应该承担责任。
B:I’m your wife and we should overcome it together.
我是你的妻子,我们应该共同克服困难。
A:But as a man, I don't want my wife to get any hurt. I have promised to the God.
但是作为男人,我不想我的妻子受到任何伤害。我向上帝发过誓。
B:If you're unhappy, I wouldn't either.
如果你不开心,我也不会开心的。
Notes:
1. take the responsibility承担责任
2. overcome [,?uv?k?m] v. 克服,胜过
last
最后(或剩下)的;最近的,上一个的,可能性极小的
Useful Phrases实用短语
①the last to be chosen最后挑选的一个
She's usually the last to be chosen.
她通常都是最后一个被挑选到的。
②at last最后,终于
She waited her mom for a long time, and at last her mom came back.
她等了妈妈很长时间最终她妈妈还是回来了。
③have the last laugh笑到最后
Wish you can have the last laugh.
希望你能笑到最后。
Daily Conversation日常会话
A:We won the game at last.
最终我们赢得了那场比赛。
B:That's great! Congratulations to you.
太好了!恭喜你们。
A:Thank you! And we'll have a glee feast this evening, would like to you come?
谢谢。今晚我们有个庆功宴,你能来吗?
B:Of course, I'd love to. By the way, when and where?
当然,我很乐意。顺便问一下,几时?在哪?
A:It's at seven o'clock in the school hall.
七点在学校礼堂。
Notes:
glee feast庆功宴
laugh笑,笑声
Useful Phrases实用短语
①laugh at因……而笑,嘲笑
Never laugh at others when they get into trouble, or you will be the next one.
永远也不要嘲笑那些陷入困境的人,否则你也许就是下一个。
②laugh off用笑摆脱,对……一笑了之
He never minds what the others'saying and often laughs it off.
他从不介意别人说什么并常常对此一笑了之。
③laugh in sb.'s face当面嘲笑,公然藐视
How dare you laugh in my face?
你怎么敢公然藐视我?
Daily Conversation日常会话
A:Because she is poor, she's often afraid of her classmates laughing at her.
因为她很穷,所以经常害怕同学会嘲笑她。
B:We can't choose our family. I think she's lack of confidence.
我们不能选择出身。我认为她缺乏自信。
A:Actually, I'm the same to her. I'm also worried about being ridiculed by others.
事实上,我和他一样,也担心被别人嘲笑。
B:As we all know, attitude is everything. So you'd better change this idea.
众所周知,态度决定一切。所以你做好改变这一观念。
Notes:
1. ridicule['ridikju:l] v,n. 嘲笑,嘲弄,愚弄
2. Attitude is everything态度决定一切。
law法律,法规,法,法学
Useful Phrases实用短语
①the law of the jungle丛林法则,弱肉强食
In today's society, you must learn to adapt yourself to the law of the jungle.
在当今的社会,你必须学会适应弱肉强食。
②there's no law against(对付批评自己的人)谁也管不着
I'll do whatever I like. There's no law against me.
我想做什么就做什么,谁也管不着。
③be a law onto yourself自行其是,我行我素
Don'taways be a law onto yourself OK Otherwise, many friends will keep away from you.
不要总是我行我素好不好?如果那样很多朋友都会远离你的。
Daily Conversation日常会话
A:I must buy this cellphone. There’s no law against me.
我必须买这个手机,谁也管不着。
B:We just give you some advice.
我们只是给你建议而已。
A:Oh, I'm terrible sorry. I was a little out of all reason just now. Can you forget it?
哦,真对不起。我刚刚有点不可理喻了。你能忘了它吗?
B:Never mind. Since we're the best friends to each other, I still have to remind you the function of this type isn't as good as you imagined.
没关系。既然我们是最好的朋友,我仍要提醒你一下,这款手机的功能没你想象的好。
lay
置放,铺,砌,下(卵),产(蛋),设置,提出
Useful Phrases实用短语
①lay aside把……搁置一旁,存留,储存
Please lay these food aside before we send them to the disaster area.
请在我们把这些食品运往灾区前先存储起来。
②lay the table摆好餐桌
I have laid the tables, as soon as she comes back.
我已经摆好桌子了,她一回来,我们就吃饭。
③lay off(暂时)解雇,停止做
He was laid off.
他下岗了。
Daily Conversation日常会话
A:Everyday when I arrive at home, my mom has laid the table.
每天回到家我妈妈都把餐桌摆好了。
B:You're so happy. But I'm not so lucky like you.
你真幸福。但是我就没那么幸运了。
A:While you're more independent than me. You can cook for yourself, but I still don't know how to cook.
然而你比我独立多了。你会为自己煮饭,但是我却仍不会做饭呢。
B:Franklly speaking, it's not bad for me. At least I can cook well now.
说实话,这对我并不坏。至少我现在会做一手好菜了。
Notes:
be bad for sb.对某人来说有坏处
lead
领导,率领,通往,导向,致使,影响,度过(或经历),生活
Useful Phrases实用短语
①lead off开始
After this suffering, she decided to lead off a new life.
这次遭遇之后,她决定重新开始新的生活。
②lead sb. by the nose牵着某人的鼻子走,完全操纵(或控制)
某人
She leads her husband by the nose.
她牵着丈夫的鼻子走。
③lead nowhere毫无结果
The reaserch leads nowhere.
这项调查毫无结果。
Daily Conversation日常会话
A:Do you want to be leaded the nose by your wife If I were you, I couldn't bear her even one day.
你想被你的妻子牵着鼻子走吗?如果我是你,我一天也忍受不了她。
B:You know no one want to live like that, but I have no choice.
你知道没人想那样生活,但是我别无选择。
A:Why don't you persuade her to change her behaviour.
你为什么不劝她改一下她的行为呢?
B:I have tried many times, but she's still unwilling to listen to me.
我已经试过多次了,但是她仍是不听我的。
Notes:
be (un) willing to do sth.(不)愿意干……
length长,长度,一段,一节
Useful Phrases实用短语
①at length长时间,详尽地
He retold the accident at length.
他详尽地重述了那场事故。
②the length and breadth of处,处处,各地
He has travelled the length and breadth of this country.
他已经游遍了这个国家的每一个角落。
③keep somebody at arm's length敬而远之;疏远
Everyone keeps him at arm's length.
每个人都对他敬而远之。
Daily Conversation日常会话
A:I have a feeling that Lily is not so close to Joe as she used to be.
我觉得莉莉对乔不像以前那么亲近了。
B:Yeah, when she heard about his background,she decided that she'd better keep him at arm's length.
是啊,她听说他的背景后,就决定疏远他了。
A:But Joe feels miserable.
可乔却觉得很痛苦。
Notes:
1. used to be过去是,曾经是
2. miserable['miz?r?bl] adj. 悲惨的,痛苦的,卑鄙的
let允许,让,假设,出租
Useful Phrases实用短语
①let down使失望,放下,降低
She doesn't want to let her parents down.
她不想让父母失望。
②let go (of)松手,放开
Don't let go of your hand please. I can't swim by myself.
请不要放手啊,我自己不会游泳。
③let off放过,宽恕,开(枪),放(炮、烟花等)
During the spring festival, we chinese people usually let off crakers.
春节期间,中国人通常都会放烟花。
Daily Conversation日常会话
A:I don't want to let my parents down, but I really can't pass the colleage entrance examination. what should I do?
我不想让我爸妈失望,但是我真的通过不了高考。我该怎么办呢?
B:Take it easy. Do your best and I believe your parents will understand you.
别着急。尽你最大的的努力,我相信你爸妈会理解你的。