经典表述
It attracts my attention the moment I start reading it.
一开始读时,它就抓住了我的注意力。
There’s nothing I like more than a good detective novel.
没有什么比一本好的侦探小说更合我意了。
That’s not my cup of tea.那不是我的口味。
情景对话
Dialogue One
A:Are you reading a novel recently?
你最近在读一本小说吗?
B:You are right.I have been reading a detective novel these days.
没错。我在读一本侦探小说。
A:What do you think of it?
你觉得怎么样?
B:I like it.It has a very interesting beginning,I think.It attracts your attention the moment you start reading it.
我喜欢读这本书。它有一个很有趣的开头,一开始读就能抓住你的注意力。
A:What do you like best about it?
你最喜欢它的什么?
twists and turns意为“迂回曲折”。
B:The plot,I guess.It’s so full of twists and turns.I also like the main character.She is so cool and smart.
我想是故事情节。故事情节迂回曲折,我也喜欢主角,她又酷又美丽。
A:What do you think of the ending?
结尾怎么样?
weak意为“欠佳的,无说服力的”。名词形式为“weakness”。
B:The ending is a bit weak.It’s too abrupt like most of other detective stories.
结尾有点欠佳。像大多数其他侦探故事一样,结尾太突然。
Dialogue Two
A:What kind of books do you usually read in your spare time?
闲暇时,你通常读哪类书?
B:There’s nothing I like more than a good detective novel.
没有什么比一本好的侦探小说更合我意的。
A:That’s not my cup of tea.I prefer non-fiction:history,autobiography and so on.
那不是我的口味,我更喜欢非虚幻类的:历史,自传等等。
B:Speak of the autobiography,I read one written by an Irish author recently.He was discarded soon after his birth because he’s disabled,but his foster mother took painstaking care of him and helped him be an author.
说到自传,我最近读了一部由一名爱尔兰作者写的。由于残疾,他一出生就被遗弃了,不过他的养母尽力照顾他并帮其成为了一个作家。
A:It must be a moving story.Can I borrow it for a week?
那一定是个感人的故事。我能借它看一周吗?
B:Sorry,it’s in Judy’s hand now,but I will keep it for you once Judy returns it.
抱歉,它现在在朱迪那儿,不过一旦她还回来,我会为你保留着。
A:That’s OK.I am thinking of heading to the library before having dinner,Care to join me?
It’s up to you.是较口语化的说法,意为随便你。可以将不同的人称代词放在句尾,表示随便某人的意思。
没关系。我想在吃晚饭前上图书馆,想一起去吗?
B:How about next time?I have something important to do.
下次怎么样?我有要事要办。
A:It’s up to you.
随便你吧。
Dialogue Three
A:You started yawning as soon sa the class began this morning.Didn’t have a good night sleep?
今天早晨一上课你就开始打哈欠。晚上没睡好吗?
B:I got a million books to read and all of them have to be read with in the next ten days.And how could you finish reading them so fast?
我有许多书要读,而且要在接下来的10天内看完。但你怎么能那么快就读完他们?
A:My trick is to deal with the most perplexing first.In the beginning,the headway is slow too.But it’s getting faster and faster later.
我的诀窍是先对付最复杂的。一开始进展也挺慢的,不过后来就越来越快了。
B:That’s a good idea.Thank you.
是个好主意。谢谢。
2.ending(故事、电影、戏剧等的)结局;
4.abrupt突然的
5.disabled残疾的
6.foster养育,抚育,鼓励
7.painstaking苦干,辛苦
8.moving令人感动的,非静止的
9.yawn打哈欠,张开,裂开
10.perplexing复杂的,令人困惑的
11.headway进展,净空高度